Weekly Top 5 Mobile Trends (01.22.24 - 01.26.24)

• 30 January 2024
  • 6 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hello Community!

We love talking about the latest and most relevant trends in mobile. Check out our Top Five Mobile News Stories of the Week and let us know what you find the most interesting. 📱🌟

🎮🌎 Is Palworld the game of 2024? 🎮

A survival adventure game released by a small company, Pocketpair, in Japan 🇯🇵 might be the biggest game of 2024. Palworld, described as “Pokemon with guns” sold five million copies within three days 🔥 of its release. The game belongs to the ‘survival adventures’ genre and so have to survive in an open-world 🌳 environment. The game is still in development 🔧 but if you’re keen to give it a go you can download the Early Access version on Steam.

💰🎬 Netflix’s Q4 earnings 💰

Netflix added over 13 million paid subscribers in the fourth quarter of 2023. Netflix has been making moves into gaming 🎲 lately and the recent launch of Grand Theft Auto 🚗 titles on the platform was a key 🔑 component to Netflix’s success. Some consumers are clearly signing up simply to play these games.

📚📣 Google announced new education features 📚

Google have announced new features for classroom management, accessibility, and AI-powered 🧠 features for creating questions and lesson plans. 📋 In June 2023, Google also added the Practice sets feature, which uses AI to create answers and general hints. The developments to the online learning 🖥️ platform will provide a more personal learning experience for students.

⚠️📱 BeReal is onboarding brands and celebrities ⚠️

BeReal., the social media app that emphasizes authenticity is making its first outreach 🤝 to brands and celebrities. The app now has over 23 million daily active users and BeReal are now working out how to retain users. This new venture marks the first step in possible monetization. 💰 ‘RealBrands’ and ‘RealPeople’ will be on the app from February 6th. 📅

💳🎵 Spotify plans to launch in-app purchases 💳

Currently, Apple 🍏 takes a 30% fee on in-app purchases for companies like Spotify but this is set to change. After the enforcement of the Digital Markets Act, ⚖️ Spotify is hoping to revamp the app so that all purchases can be made inside the app rather than through the app store. 

What do you think?

6 replies

Badge +2

💳🎵 Spotify plans to launch in-app purchases 💳

Currently, Apple 🍏 takes a 30% fee on in-app purchases for companies like Spotify but this is set to change. After the enforcement of the Digital Markets Act, ⚖️ Spotify is hoping to revamp the app so that all purchases can be made inside the app rather than through the app store. 

It will be interesting to see how they will move their player base to this new solution. I doubt they will onboard the new US Apple tax. Thanks for sharing 

Thanks for sharing, @csalvado. Curious why you think they won’t onboard the new US Apple tax? I know the DMA in the EU is coming with a lot of changes, so I’m curious if you think the US just won’t uphold those same laws? Let me know.

Badge +2

My take is that they will find a workaround on the US apple tax. Its current format is unsustainable. Im extremely interested in the model they will use to bypass Apple’s demands. 

Apple thinks its in a position to utilize scare tactics, but i ask you, what would apple do if their client base moves away from their service ( regardless of the consequences ), hopefully it does not come to that and Apple will find a productive way to alleviate the cost

Thanks for your thoughts, @csalvado. Really appreciate you sharing. We’ll be keeping a close eye on how the this rolls out in the US. I’m going to bring this up to our team to see if we can put out some blog content on this topic.

More conversations to come.

Badge +2

Related to the reply i made. This just in: https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/18/24076526/apple-music-antitrust-fine-brussels-eu-spotify

@csalvado Wow. Interesting. 

For anyone else reading this, this sentence pretty much sums up the Spotify/Apple antitrust complaint:

Spotify complained in 2019 that Apple’s policies muted competition against Apple Music, kicking off an EU investigation the next year. The EU whittled its objections down to oppose Apple’s refusal to let developers even link out to their own subscription sign-ups within their apps — a policy that Apple changed in 2022 following regulatory pressure in Japan.”

Thanks for sh@csalvado - Let’s keep a pulse on this.